Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Eat Your Way Through India

Four little pigs are eating their way through Southern India. Two little piggies love very spicy fare. One little piggy loves mildly spiced fare. The last little piggy likes Varsity hot dogs and french fries! There is something here in India for every palate.

The South of India ia a huge agricultural community. Markets abound in fresh fruits and vegetables. Rice fields are common as are crops of sugar cane.Since I am the picky eater little piggy, I would love to share some of the Indian fare I love.
Tomatoes that truly grow on vines, cucumbers, okra, cauliflower, peppers, onions, squash, beans red carrots and eggplant are just a few of the vegtables you find in the fresh produce department of your local outdoor market. They use all these vegetables in a variety of ways but my favorite is RAITA which is yogurt with cucumbers. I also never pass up a home grown tomato! I love rice no matter how it is prepared (plain, saffron or pilao which is like rice pilaf.)

Bread has always been my downfall and it is no different here. Naan and Puri are my vice and when you add a little mixed fruit jam to a puri its like eating a jelly doughnut! I had TWO this morning.

Cows are sacred here so I stick to chicken and fish. They cook them in a Tandoor clay oven and its better than a Big Green Egg when it comes to making the meat juicy and tender. My favorites are Tikka fish and Tandoori chicken.

Last but not least my staple snack, dessert and friend maker while in India are M and M's with my favorites being plain and peanut. Bon Apetit!


M

No comments:

Post a Comment