Friday, March 4, 2011

Alters, Alters Everywhere - A Bouqet of Senses in India

To quote a New York Times article I recently read,"Even the dullest spirit at some point in South India will be affected by the numberless ways that ritual underscores the holiness of daily life." Here you see alters everywhere including fields, lakes, bases of trees, roadsides, restaurants, living rooms and the like.


I wish I could put into words the experience that is the Meenakshi Temple located in Madurai. It is one of the largest and most beautiful of temples in all of India. The primary deity of this Hindu temple is Meenaskshi, the consort to Shiva. This alone makes this temple unique.




Meenakshi temple is much like the country in which it resides. An abundance of everything: people, flowers, smells, textures, textiles, sounds and color. Every step, every look, every breath you take brings on something new. There are weddings, sacrifices, pilgrimages, pujas, music, bells, bangle ceremonies, shops, vendors, priests, candles, 100's of statues, thousands of pillars, and truckloads of flowers, coconuts and incense




In the chaos there is order; in the crush of people there is solitude. They say in India that logic takes a back seat to instinct. I believe this to be true. I am sorry I cannot find the words to express just what I was a part of here; I am sorry to have not had longer in this place; and I am grateful I was given the opportunity to come here. I hope you have that opportunity someday too.

M

No comments:

Post a Comment